Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tree Killer (Chelsea)

Okay, so I didn't post this until 10pm on Tuesday, but at least it's posted on the right day! Saying I'm a procrastinator is an understatement akin to saying Hitler was Bad. The only thing I don't procrastinate on (generally) is reading. For fun. This week, I reaaaad...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland AND Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. I can't believe I hadn't read these before. I'd seen snippets of the Disney movie, sure, but when I realized I was 16 and still hadn't read them, I began to grow ashamed. For a reader like me, especially one who adores Children's and YA lit, it's embarrassing. But at least I'm not the only one! No matter how many times I read a classic and enjoy it (To Kill a Mockingbird, for instance and Catcher in the Rye, both of which I loved) I can't help but cringe at the word "classic". It goes, in my mind, with "required" and "work", and all those other nonfun adjectives. When something becomes work for me, I lose my enjoyment in it (which played a big part in my decision to quit reviewing, btw). Not that when I'm reading something for school, I won't enjoy it. It's just that...I have to FORCE myself to read it. Kicking and screaming. Because my free spirit doesn't go well with the word "required." I've seen a ton of posts about this on blogs recently, so maybe that's where this is all coming from. (Oh, and just to let you know, I really enjoyed Alice. It was so dreamlike and fun.)

Whew, anyway. I also read Hush by Donna Jo Napoli. It's the first book of hers I've read, and I hear she specializes in retellings? I haven't read many retellings, but I'd really like to. I enjoyed Hush quite a bit. Does anyone know any good ones?

Until next time, (and there WILL be a next time, because holycrap I have so many books)
Chelsea

(Oh, and check out my personal blog if -- for some odd reason -- you want to read about what I'm reading, watching, and living.)

2 comments:

Megan said...

I completely understand what you mean about the whole classics thing. What is up with us book lovers? We are so weird about that, don't try and force us to read something, pure cruelty!

I am happy to be a bit older and have some perspective on things now. I am happy to give things more of a chance, not that you can't too but for me it is something that came with age.

Kyle said...

I love To Kill A Mockingbird. One of the best books out there. i have read it like 5 times, and two of those times was for school (6th grade and 9th grade)