Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I Read a Book this Week! (Meaghan)

Yes, book. As in singular. I only read one book this week, but is was a good book all the same, and 310 pages long, no less! It's by Jacquelyn Mitchard, the same author of The Midnight Twins! Isn't that fun?

Anyway, the book I read was All we Know of Heaven, and I loved it. I really like the cover, do you? Take a look at it to your left! I'm going to type up the information about the book that's on the inside front flap.

"Bridget Flanery and Maureen O'Malley have been BFFs since forever. Then a breif moment of inattention on an icy road leaves one girl dead and the other in a coma, battered beyong recognition. Family and friends mourn one friend's loss and pray for the other's recovery. Then the doctors discover they have made a horrible mistake. The girl who lived is the one who everyone thought had died."

As I've said before, I really liked All we Know of Heaven. It was very interesting. I don't want to give away any secerts, so it's hard to say what I liked about the book, but here goes. I liked the characters, especially Maureen and Danny. I also liked the romance, the drama, and, yes! Even the setting. I like it being set in a small town. It adds a certain touch. I liked rooting for Maureen, as she recovered, and crying (or feeling really sad) for her when she got frustrated. Yes, I felt pity for a fictional character! Why not? :D

Jacquelyn Mitchard has quickly become one of my favorite authors. I can't wait to read the rest of The Midnight Twins trilogy, and I can't wait to read more of her books. I hope the rest of her books are as good as the first two I read!

I'm still reading The Book Theif. I like it so far, but it's just one of the books I read slowly. I read I Am The Messanger by Markus Zusak a while ago, back when I first checked out the YA section of my library and remeber really likeing that one. I like The Book Theif, too.

What can I say about The Book Theif? I really like Leisel so far, and I absolutley LOVE how it's narrated by Death himself. That is a very interesting thing about that book. I also like the cover. Look at it, over on your right, this time! I also like how it's set in Nazi, Germany and I also like the character of Hans.

I may get more time to read it now, because I've started school again. We have a 40-minute TEP, in which we can read, which I choose to do, do homework or anything else quiet. And, on Friday's, we get to watch movies! Anyway, I may have it finished within the next week.

The next book I'm going to talk about is Suite Scarlett, by Maureen Johnson. After I finished All we Know of Heaven last night, I started this book this morning and read it during TEP today and after school. I really like it so far. Here's the burb on the front flap.
"Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way. Her family owns the Hopwell, a small hotel in the heart of New York City. Her nineteen-year-old brother, Spencer, is an out of work actor facing a family deadline to get his career in order. Eighteen-year-old Lola has the delicate looks of a model, the practical nature of a nurse, and a wealthy society boyfriend. Eleven-year-old Marlene is the family terror with a tragic past.
When the Martins turn fifteen, they are each expected to take over the care of a suite in the one elegant, now shabby Art Deco hotel. For Scarlett's fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn't quite know what to make of this C-list starlet, world traveler and aspiring autobiographer who wants to take over her life. And when she meets Eric, and estonishingly gorgeous actor who just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpecter turn.
With Mrs. Amberson calling the shots, Spencer's career to save, Lola's love life to navigate aroud and Marlene's prying eyes everywhere, things won't be easy. Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of theivery, Broadway glamour, romantic missteps and theatrical deception.

The show, as they say, must go on."

I haven't gotten far into it, but the book looks and sonds very promising. I like the cover of that book, too. :D

The next book, which I also like the cover is, I'm going to talk about is The Missing Girl, by Norma Fox Mazer. That's the book I'm going to read next. So, here comes the book blurb from the front flap!

"He could be any man, and respectable, ordinary man.

But he's not.

This man watches the five Herbert girls- Beauty, Mim, Stevie, Fancy and Autumn- with disturbing fascination.

Unaware of his scrutiny and his increasingly agitated and forbidden thoughts about them, the sisters go on with their ordinary, everyday lives- planning, arguing, laughing and crying- as if nothing could every breach the safety of their family."

I want to talk about Peeps, now. I actually ended up returning Peeps to the library. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but after about 150 pages, I just couldn't get into it. I think I might pick it up again someday. I liked the character of Cal.
I liked the Uglies trilogy, and I read Exras, which was really good, but I couldn't get into Peeps. So, now I'm going to leave you with a SuperPost, with colored text and pictures of book covers. I hope you enjoyed it! It took me about a half an hour to write. :D
See ya next Tuesday!

P.S.- Anyone else have a full day of school today? Oh, man, I felt ready to take a nap after school, I was so tired. So that's why I didn't update earlier. Good luck for the rest of the year, people!

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Those sound like awesome books to read. I really want to get Suite Scarlett, I'm actually surprised my library doesn't have it yet, they have all of Maureen Johnson's books besides this one and The Bermudez Triangle.

I had my first day of school today. It was alright, I don't have any friends in my lunch hour though.

Wendy Toliver said...

Great books! Was All We Know of Heaven based on a true story? I remember something very similar happening in real life. Crazy!

Keep up the great posts.

xoxo

Chelsie said...

Sounds like a lot of good books to read...exciting! I wish I had as much to talk about =P