Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Happy Because I'm Going to Barnes & Noble's Today! (Vanessa)


Name: Vanessa
Blog Name: What Vanessa Reads
Blog URL: whatvanessareads.wordpress.com
MySpace URL: myspace.com/whatvanessareads
Forum/Message Board: likeomgteensread.com (click here where it says "Are you looking for the message board? Click here".

Hi! I totally forgot to post last week and then I was going to post but it was Wednesday and told myself "your punishment for not remembering is not posting". Of course, that's how I remembered this week (woo, go discipline). Anyway let's get started.
First and foremost, head on over to my blog to enter a contest for a copy of I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder if you haven't already. The contest ends September 30th.
Second, I read two books this week. Which is actually pretty good. I read a short book for English class, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, which I loved. And I also read Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. Both great books, but I still have some things to point out.

For one, I thought I got an overwhelmingly recommended to read Elsewhere. So I did. It was good. I liked it a lot. However, I did expect a five-star book but still settled for a four-star (what I'm giving it). I really liked the plot, its something I've never heard of before. I also liked the characters. You'll see more of this over at my blog in about a week (I'm starting a review schedule so my readers always get a consistent amount of material). So wait around for the post.
Next, I read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. This book is GREAT. It was a little plotless in the beginning but it still was an amazing read. I guess you should trust the books you are made to read for English class. The story is about two guys who travel together: Lennie and George. Lennie is always getting into trouble although he never means to do any harm. George takes care of Lennie. They work at a ranch where they farm. George and Lennie's life dream is to own their own "promised land" where they can farm and do whatever they please. However, it's hard to come about that when Lennie is making trouble and they live in a hand-to-mouth existence. If you're looking for a "classic" you should definitely try this book out. The southern language may be hard to get into, but the book is worth it. Wait around for this review also, which will be posted before Elsewhere.
Today I'm going to Barnes & Noble's when my dad comes home from work. I'm going to TRY to keep it at a 3-book minimum (even though that's so hard). I know one book I'm certainly getting is Like OMG Teens Read's September Book of the Month... Sisters of Misery by Megan Kelley Hall. I think I'm also going to get Madapple by Christina Meldrum and Amazing Grace by Megan Shull. I'm not completely sure. So that will add to my TBR pile. 
Thanks for tuning in! Til next week,
Vanessa


1 comment:

Chelsie said...

Ah, I still need to read Sisters of Misery. I have so many other books to read!

I'm gonna go read your review of Elsewhere, I'm curious on your thoughts.