Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Teen Tuesday - Chelsea

This week, I was busy yet again. I'd planned on reading at least one book a day this summer, but things have proved too busy. So I only read two books this week, both ironically memoirs.

The first book I read was I DON'T WANT TO BE CRAZY by Samantha Schutz. I didn't know this was a memoir until after I rented it from BookSwim. I had just read the summary of a girl with anxiety and instantly wanted to read it, having an anxiety disorder myself. Told in verse, it was a true tale told straight from the author's emotions onto the page. I really enjoyed it and could relate extremely well.

The second book, WASTED by Marya Hornbacher, was a memoir about anorexia and bulimia. It was depressing to read -- all that time spent reading about someone who could do something like that to their body, to the point where they're an inch away from dying, was just plain sad. But it was also a book I needed to read, and I suggest everyone else does, too. I had learned so much about these disorders and what goes through the head of someone that has one. I began to understand anoretics and bulimics more, which is important considering the rising numbers of teens and women that suffer from these disorders these days. Marya starved herself, threw up to the point of blood, ran twenty five miles a day, shook constantly, grew patches of fur, and fainted. And she continued to starve herself. It seems unfathomable to me, but these are true diseases. A very interesting, informative read.

I'll be back next Tuesday with info on what else I'm reading! :)

-Chelsea-

No comments: