Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Chelsea's First Post!

Hi! This is my first Teen Tuesday post. Since I'm done with reviewing, I thought I'd use this as a way to keep you up to date with what I'm reading! This week was busy, so I didn't get as much reading done as usual. But I DID read The Luxe for the TT Book Club, which I loved. It's been compared to Gossip Girl, but I think it's far more substantial than that. The comparison, I can understand though, because it IS filled with scandal. I can't wait for the chat!

I also read The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. I'd heard a lot about it, but didn't really known much. I put it on my BookSwim pool anyway, only to find out that about half the book is told in pictures. It's a 500 page book, but I went through it extremely fast. (Partly due to the pictures, but also partly due to the fact that something was alwaaaays going on!) I really enjoyed it, and it was a refreshing change of pace.

The third book I started was Jumper by Steven Gould. I had seen the movie, and decided to rent the book as soon as I had the chance. And, while I'm not disappointed (except at the lack of Hayden Christiansen), the book is COMPLETELY different from the movie. I guess the one I'm reading now was written in the 90s, only to be rewritten in the past couple of years, to be adapted onto the screen. So there are two Jumper books. I've only got about 100 or so pages left of this one, but I'm really wanting to read the other book (the one the movie was adapted from), too.

Aside from that, I've rented some vampiry reads in honor of Vampire Month at the new blog Genre of the Month, which I'll be organizing, and a ton of awesome reviewers will be participating in!

Happy reading!

3 comments:

Chelsie said...

Looks like you're getting a lot of varied reading done =D

I wanted to read The Invention of Hugo Cabret, but I'm so worried that I won't like it... I was actually intrigued just because of the cover and all the pictures in it.

Readingjunky said...

Quick question for Chelsea or anyone out there - about JUMPER (the original version). Do you think it is too graphic?

Just wondering since about 5 years ago I had a parent request that I pull it from my classroom shelf because of an early scene he felt was inappropriate. To be honest I had to go back and reread the beginning of the book and really didn't remember the scene until I did that.

Any thoughts?

Chelsea said...

Hmm. Are you talking about the truck-stop scene in the beginning? Sure, it was graphic, but I didn't think TOO graphic. I've read much worse in YA literature -- and I felt that it was realistic. Definitely not a reason to pull it from the shelf! Agh. I hate when parents do that.

I'm a mature teen, but A LOT of teens are these days. I don't think they'd find it too graphic. At all.