Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Help Wanted! [Chelsie]


I am writing this from the front desk at the town library, where I am now officially employed.


Wait, what? Employed? At the library?

Yep. No longer am I a volunteer... I am now working, doing fun stuff for pay. And I get access to all the new books before anyone else does.

But that's just something I felt like sharing. =D Mostly because, well, I don't have much to say on the reading front.

I finished Audrey, Wait! this week. Finally. I feel better about the fact that I'm not the only one having trouble reading a lot this summer, but I still feel bummed out that it took me a week and a half to read a book that I was thoroughly enjoying.

Now, on the Audrey, Wait! subject, there are two things I need to say.

1. I now have a list of 40+ songs that I need to listen to, all from the book.

2. Robin Benway is amazing. Her characters are all amazing, her writing is amazing, her story is amazing... the whole book was amazing. If you haven't read this book you'll definitely need to buy it, because it is definitely worth it.

Last night, I also started Goddess Games by Niki Burnham. But... I can't say anything about that. I got 40 pages into it and... well, I like it. But today as I was working I realized that 15 books on my shelf from the library is too many, especially when most of them have been checked out since March.

So I decided to turn most of them in. Granted, I haven't done it yet, but I am extremely determined to drag them with me tomorrow.

All except for three, for sure, that I'm going to keep: The Host, Vampire Academy, and City of Bones.

But there are others that I'm not sure about. So this is where you come in. I want to keep one or two books instead of turning all of them in. So in the comments, please pick one or two from this list for me to keep, and I'll take your advice into consideration.

1. Nobody's Prize by Esther Friesner

2. Legacy by Kate Brian

3. The Straight Road to Kylie by Nico Medina

4. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

5. Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith

6. Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

7. Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headley

8. The Kayla Chronicles by Sherri Winston

9. Crimes of the Sarahs by Kristen Tracy


In this post, I was also thinking about mentioning our hosting the book club, but since Megan already mentioned it... I don't really have much else to say.

Happy Reading!

-Chelsie-

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

Eee! I'm glad you liked Audrey, Wait! And that's so exciting on your library job. You lucky, lucky girl!

As for the library books, that's a hard decision. Hmm. I'd say Tantalize, because it sounds amazing. I read Disreputable History, though, and really liked it. So that may be a keeper, too. Ooh, Legacy! I love the Private series.

Okay, I just realized how little help I am. :p Ha.

Anna said...

I volunteer at my library right now. I've been going to the library since I was, like, one to get books so all the workers know me. And my mom tutors there and one day when I wasn't there the worker told my mom that there should be job openings soon, and that I might get hired in! Yay! It also helps that everybody there knows me... it's a small town, so there arn't too many workers there. :]

I LOVED Audrey, Wait! too. And after I read it I looked up all the songs and got some new ones. :]

I'd like to help you with your decision, but I haven't read any of those books yet, so I can't. :[ I always have the same problem - I check the books out then never get a chance to read them so I have to haul them back because they have holds. *sigh* 'Tis sad.

hope.

Carolina said...

Hmm... I would keep Tantalize because it's amazing and Peeps because it rocks! I loved Audrey, Wait!

Melissa Walker said...

Ok, I haven't read all of these but I'm reading Girl Overboard right now and loving it, and I also just started Disreputable History and love it... so those are my two, for now.

Elainareads said...

Audrey, Wait! is a really awesome book. Congrats on working at the library, I would love to work at my library.

First I have to say that your library has some awesome books. Tantalize was really good. I liked Peeps and Girl Overboard, too. Its so hard to decided I have a bunch of books from my library too, but I am determined to read them all.

=D

qwkjdn said...

I want to work in a library =)

Alea said...

I tried to get my library/borders/b&n to hire me for years and no luck :(

I would say keep The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks and Peeps because I've heard a lot of great things about both of them!

Anonymous said...

I want your library! I volunteer at mine but they can't pay me and since I live in a small town, we get very few teen books in. I actually give them most of mine, which makes them really happy because they're teen section is pathetic and they know it.