Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Teen Tuesday, First Edition [Chelsie]




Welcome to my first Teen Tuesday blog post! (can you tell I’m excited? eek!)


This week has been quite an interesting week, reading-wise. I could honestly say that in the past week I’ve read more books than I’d read the previous two or three weeks combined. I guess that’s just how it is with me... for awhile I’ll go through books like lightning and then I’ll slow down and stick with the same book for a week.

But enough about my unpredictable reading habits. That’s not what this blog is about. This blog is about young adult books... so here we go.

Last week I officially became re-obsessed with the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristen Cast. I read the first book in the series, Marked, last month and I have no idea why I didn’t read the second and third right away... I absolutely LOVED the first one. It was fast-paced and funny and highly addictive... And the second and third books were JUST like the first. Just as fast-paced, just as funny, and just as addictive... maybe even more. But now I realize that I should have waited until late summer to read these... because now I have to wait until September for the fourth book!

And it’s just my luck that the third book ended off with an evil cliffhanger.

Anyways, I finished Chosen (the third book) on Saturday during a huge series of thunderstorms.

I think I'm falling in love with Vampire books. I first started falling love when I read Twilight (I mean, who didn't?) but now I'm really in love...
Anyone have any suggestions for other good vampire books?

And then on Sunday I started (and finished) Jump the Cracks by Stacy DeKeyser. You can read my review here, but I will try to quickly summarize how I felt... Obviously it was a quick read, and while it wasn’t perfect, I felt there really was some sort of substance to it that is lacking with other novels. So basically, I thought it was great.

Currently, I’m reading Fireworks by Niki Burnham, Erin Haft, Sarah Mlynowski, and Lauren Myracle. It’s a book with four short stories in it, all pertaining to summer. I’ve been saving this book for awhile, because I thought it’d be perfect to read when it finally started feeling like summer... and it has! Finally, after what seemed to be the longest winter ever, I can feel the summer!

So what type of books do you think make good summer books? Or what type of books do you think make good books, period? I'd like to know, so feel free to leave a comment and share!

-Chelsie-

3 comments:

Megan said...

Fireworks sounds particularly lovely... I really do love short stories. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on in. Unfortunately the library doesn't have it.

I have already suggested the Vampire Diaries to you and I will do again. Read them! Listen to me!

Summer reading...no different than other reading really. You hear a lot about "beach reads" something simple and mindless. I tend not to enjoy those. But if I am going to read a mindless book it would likely be in the summer.

Good books? Writing. I learned recently that the writers I enjoy most are the ones I most wish I could write like. But I also like stories and plot lines that stretch my mind a little bit. Especially dystopic novels like The Giver.

Alea said...

I'd never heard of Fireworks, I love short stories!

Have you read/heard of the new book Evernight? I haven't read it yet but I'm going to for sure. I guess it's about a school of vampires? Not actually sure, I didn't want to spoil it for myself!

Anna said...

Fireworks sounds good. I've wanted to read it for a while... I'll have to talk my library into getting it. :p

hope